Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Wrapping Up & Starting Over

     Obviously keeping up with a blog is not as easy as I thought it'd be - between teaching, two jobs, Intervarsity, and prepping for the wedding, I literally have NO TIME!

     My first placement is officially over. :(  I had my last day on Thursday - so bittersweet.  I absolutely loved Holy Family and my students.  They will always hold a place in my heart.

     My supervisor came to observe me 3 more times over the term of that last placement.  Overall, I received excellent feedback, especially with my kindergarten lessons (Go figure, since 99% of my practicum was Kindergarten).  There was one lesson (5th grade, I believe) that my supervisor was less than thrilled with.  However, I used this as an opportunity to grow and become a better teacher.  When she came back the next time, she told me she was blown away.  I guess I improved. :)

     Another thing I opted to do while at Holy Family was a mock interview with the principal.  Anyone who actually knows me well knows I deal with anxiety on a daily basis, so this definitely had me on edge.  When we finished, he immediately asked me how I thought it went.  That was intimidating.  Shouldn't YOU tell ME how it went?  I thought that meant I messed up.  He eventually told me I did actually do a good job.  A couple of my answers he was extremely impressed with! :)  He gave me me some constructive criticism on a couple things, which were actually very helpful.  Fingers crossed I made an impression, because I actually turned in an application for that school and I happen to know they need a Kindergarten teacher next year!

     On Wednesday, I got to sit in on some parent teacher conferences.  In fact, I got to actually talk to some of the parents, since I had been working with the students for 7 weeks.  It was really interesting seeing how the different parents view education.

     My last couple of days were a little emotional.  My kindergarten class wrote me "cards" that say things like "Miss Shelby is the best teacher ever.", "I will miss you.", etc.  The teachers also got me a gift - just some things a first year teacher will need. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment