Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Days 1 & 2

I had every intention of posting after my first day yesterday but clearly that did not happen. So, while I ride this fun little bike at the gym, I'll update you on my last 2 days. :)

Day 1 - A. It was a 2 hour delay because of the weather, so I had literally no idea what time to show up. We never had this conversation!  Haha. So, I just showed up 2 hours later than normal and called it good. (Turns out that was an excellent guess).

Since it was an unexpected shortened day, we literally just skipped our first 2 hours of what was planned - 20/20/20. Which you'll hear about once I finally do it!

The first thing I did was go in to observe (that's all I do the first week or so - especially the first day) the kindergarten class doing their literacy centers. Generally there'd be a volunteer there during that time, but they didn't come because of the delay, so the kids in that rotation were supposed to play literacy games on the ipads. Surprise! All the ipads were dead. So, Miss Shelby (That's me!) got to jump right in first thing and play a literacy game with them, where they had to read me sight words. Simple enough.

After that it was already lunch time, which only means one thing - lunch duty. Holy moly when you get that many kids from age 4 to age 7 together in one room, it gets loud. It was also freezing and I was starving. But I made it through and then got to have lunch in the teacher's lounge (I still remember when that was a forbidden place and nobody was sure if it actually existed). It was actually a lot of fun. I really like my teacher and all the other ones who were around at that point.
After lunch was small guided reading with 5th grade, then eventually 4th grade. Both groups did the same thing of going over vocabulary words and then answering some questions to prove they understand. For example, one of the words was "scarce", so they had to answer "Name something that is scarce." to show us they understand. Again, pretty simple. All of our ELL students are pretty high in proficiency level, so it's not too bad.

Oh, and best part? 3 of the kids I coached in soccer all summer go to this school & 1 is even in my kindergarten class! 

Day 2 - Today started at normal time, but since it's Wednesday and I'm at a Catholic school, we started our day with mass. This was an extremely new experience to me, as I'm not at all Catholic. However, it was actually really interesting to see how they ran their service. I am a Christian, so we worship the same God, just a little differently. Although it was different, it was kind of nice to be able to freely worship even though I was at work/school. Makes me kind of wonder what a Christian school would be like. :) It did leave me with multiple questions though so I think I have some research to do tonight.

Not only do I need to look up some Catholic practices, I also apparently need to educate myself with what's happening in South Sudan. We have a large Sudanese population at my school and so the war was a large part of mass this morning (the Father & Deacon are also from Sudan. So that was really neat.)

Today was also an early out so we really didn't have much to do today at all. Our schedule was entirely messed up. All we did today was help the kindergarten (which makes me so happy!) with a picture - word sort of the short a family.

After school let out I made a word wall in the classroom and then went home! (Well, to work. And now I'm here.)

Tomorrow will be my first FULL day with all my "classes" and my first time meeting my 20/20/20 group, which will soon be my own group to work with independently.

Until then, have a wonderful evening, day, week...whatever it is until I get back to you again! (I have a lot to do & a lot to research - Catholicism, South Sudan, and a bunch of stuff so I can impress at my Des Moines Public School District interview on Saturday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment