Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Week 3 Already?

As some people have oh-so-kindly pointed out, it's been a while since I've written last. I was so pumped about writing this but my goodness, student teaching keeps you busy! (Especially when you're working 2 jobs on top of that, but totally not the point).

My first placement is going extremely well. I absolutely love it. My mentor teacher is great. The other teachers are wonderful. And the students are fantastic. Being a Catholic school, these students are taught morals and manners a lot more than in a public school system and it shows. They are so respectful, it's unbelievable.

So, last week my mentor teacher's mother was in the hospital. It was a pretty serious deal. Because of that, I actually ended up teaching 2 1/2 full days by myself (with very, very minimal planning). It was crazy. Some of the kids tried testing me so much! But I suppose that's normal.

Overall, I'd say it went fairly well. Obviously if I had known beforehand and had some time to plan, things might have gone a little smoother but hey, that's teaching. You've got to make the best of it!

Last week I also had professional development all about the I-ELDA (Iowa English Language Development Assessment). Basically, this is the test we give our English language learners to measure their language development. It was actually quite interesting and I was bummed that since I'm not yet a licensed teacher, I can't get certified to administer the test. (Which would have been extremely helpful since my school has over 150 ELLs).

This week, PD (Professional Development,  try to keep up) was a joke. Absolute joke. And this isn't just me being a slacker student teacher. Seriously, my teacher was like "Why are we even here?" The whole thing was chaos, not well thought out at all. However, I guess spending 2 hours on a Monday afternoon doing that was better than sitting through an entire day of school.

The rest of this week I'm taking over Kindergarten centers to do a unit on Pond Life (Yeah, I know). My supervisor is coming to watch me on Friday so fingers crossed!

Anyway, that's been my week. Adiós!

No comments:

Post a Comment